Join us for a coastal sustainability discussion
LIAA, along with Dr. Richard Norton from the University of Michigan, is hosting an evening meeting with the planning commissions of South Haven Township, Casco Township and the City of South Haven. This discussion will serve as a jumping off point for this multi-jurisdictional group to begin planning for a more resilient coastline.
When: Wednesday, October 28th at 6pm
How to access:
Meeting ID: 870 2848 9784
What we need from participants:
- Prior to attending the meeting, please watch the presentation by our Coastal Resilience Team, found below.
- Please keep the following questions in mind while watching the video and be prepared to discuss:
- What are the current challenges the South Haven/Casco community is facing because of changes in the Great Lakes?
- Is the community doing everything it might to address coastal community resiliency through its planning and zoning? If not, why not?
- What changes could help it do more?
- If push comes to shove and we cannot do both, should we prioritize protecting the natural beach or protecting buildings?
- Who should take the lead in making difficult decisions like that — local or state government?